Unusual electrical issues

So today I made up a loom to wire up the heated rear screen from the existing plug on the parcel shelf.

I also needed a fuse box to fit in the boot near the battery, the one for the demist and the electric aerial. Managed to find this in my breaker car so that was a bonus!
Fitted everything up and started the car, demister works fine, excellent.
I then switched off my ignition, and the car kept running! I eventually narrowed this down to the fuse for the aerial, took this out and then turned the car off and ignition went off. Everything shut off as normal except my clock light and stereo which kept playing, bit only until the fascia was taken off.
I know this because I have my clock illumination spliced into the switched live for the stereo and this is also went off when the fascia was taken off.
I suspect it is something to do with the push start button the previous owner installed.

The above pics may or may not help shed any light.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA!

1 Like

Did you get this sorted Jay?

Not yet Clare, not had chance to look at it again yet. It’s not set on fire yet so guess that’s a bonus! :joy:

1 Like

Deffo a plus :joy:

Seems to be alot of dodgy wiring about atm, something to do with the cold and damp I’d imagine… @Yetidragon has a funky Headlight connector on one side, even after rewiring a new plug in… And the fastback occasionally looses it’s tail lights only, and Electric windows are becoming tempramental… We need a good electrician… :thinking: @brg_jay? :smirk:

2 Likes

I’m hoping my next weekend away from the little one I can look a little more in to how the push start is wired in and see if that gives me any ideas as to what is wrong!
Also waiting for replacement switchback bulbs to try and solve the issue with my tsi’s and the white light not going off when the amber ones come on.
On the plus side my oil pressure gauge is behaving a lot more these days but brightness on my led clock is temperamental!
Gotta love 25 year old wiring :joy:

1 Like

Have just seen Matt from @TEAMRAD is having wiring issues too… Tech day?! :joy:

Sounds like a good plan but my completely free days are few and far between!

1 Like

It seems to me that you may have tapped into the wrong wire under the dash and it’s causing it to bypass the ignition switch.
Are you sure those scotch locks are on the right wires?

1 Like

@fha772 absolutely no idea whether it’s on the right wires, was all wired in when I bought the car a few years back. Only noticed the issue when installing my heated rear window loom a couple of weeks back.
Thanks though, that gives me an idea to work at, I should probably dig out a wiring diagram / guide for a push start button!

2 Likes

@Jay_Moss, basically what’s happening is, when you turn your ignition off, it’s still getting power to keep the engine running. So, you have an extra power feed to the ignition wires.
I would say the main suspect would be the aerial wire that you removed the fuse from, I’d trace that through first and check where that is connected to at each end.
There’s definitely a wire either connected wrong, or is shorting to another wire.
Also, I would definitely change those scotch locks for proper crimp connectors, I don’t know any proper auto electricians who use them,they cause more problems than anything by either shorting wires together or by cutting wires they are meant to be connecting.

2 Likes

Would you advise removing the scotch block first to eliminate that being the cause of the problem?
Could this contribute to the power on my stereo staying on after ignition is switched off too? Although once the faceplate is removed the power stops and doesn’t come back in if faceplate is put back on!
:blush:

1 Like

I wouldn’t remove them to start with, I’d trace the wires through first so you know for sure what is connected to what.
But sometimes, it’s best just to start again with the wiring.
It does seem like it’s due to an accumulation of wiring Mods causing the power to track back.

2 Likes