I would like to table something to the whole community.
This is something that has been mentioned several times before by people in person, but I dont think it has been discussed on the forum as a whole.
I dont think it is any secret that Combustionpunks takes a few pennies to keep running, Forum hosting, Website hosting, software, Gazebos, BBqs, Flags, and all the other support equipment that we like to have around.
Over the years we have had a few different funding streams, none of which have wholly covered the costs of our lifestyle.
These include -
- way back in the day we added a couple of quid to show tickets to help get equipment - this proved to be quite good for a while - but also brought headaches all of their own - but regardless of these headaches , in the new age of more and more ticket sales being direct from the organisers this avenue isn’t really open to us anymore
- Merch Sales - we have used profits from merch sales to help out with stuff - this isn’t a huge revenue stream though, and is mostly used to make us look even more awesome at the shows.
- Donations - something that I have really tried to avoid, but on a few occasions some members have waived change from merch sales, or refused refunds on tickets to let us add to the “Warchest”
- Profit from all Waspworks fibreglass products went into the pot - but seeing as I havn’t had time to lay fibreglass in ages - guess what lol
- Kitty at JAE helps cover show expenses such as Gas for BBQ.
There are some other suggestions that I have been kicking round, but there are a few technical issues around them. eg, I would love to open up the 'Punks shop to creators within the community who build stuff to use as a point of sale for their goods and benefit from promotion through the forum / group and facebook page in return for a percentage of the sale price. but yeah… havn’t managed to work out all the potential issues around this. - but I degress
over the last few years it has been suggested to me several times to make the forum paid membership only - I do not personally like this idea I don’t want to “charge at the door”
But after chatting onwards an interesting idea was tabled and I would like to see how everyone feels about it.
Some sort of “Supporter / Sponsor / Premium” member thing
The idea is to add value to membership in some way for the members that desire to support the forum further… So if we were going to do this (this is a discussion after all) then how would we “Add value”
- Supporters Only Section on the forum - not sure how much value that adds though without moving specific content there, possibly could be used as a “birthing” area for the show threads - giving Supporters earlier access to show tickets earlier, and help influence decisions about showes earlier.
- Supporters only Merch selection, IE stuff you can only get hold of if you are a supporter, in much the same way as there is Toppunk merch only available to 'Punks that have won featured car on stand (note to self - need to get Toppunks merch into the store)
- Supporter badge on forum
- Negotiated discounts with other platforms / suppliers.
and others that I forget at the moment, but that is enough to get us started for the discussion.
so… what am I asking?
- If some sort of advanced paid for membership would be an idea that would be acceptanble
- What sort of incentives shall we try to put in place for this
- What sort of annual subscription should we put on this sort of idea?
Thanks in advance for all your input guys